I think it is time for a slightly more light-hearted post! I think it goes without saying that I am not recommending anyone eat like this, but I am just going to explain some of the ridiculous things I have done in order to get calories down my neck in the past.
I never particularly liked food as a kid. I recall being forced to eat vegetables etc. and as a result never looked forward to mealtimes. As a result, I wasn't a big eater when I first started training. Eating enough was a problem for me initially. When I say eating enough I mean enough for fast strength and size gains. Anyone who knows me in person knows I am not the most patient individual going. When I wanted to see gains, I wanted to see them right then!
Chucking loads of shit in a blender and mixing and drinking has always been my favourite way to get the calories in. Oats, peanut butter, milk, honey, protein powder, chocolate powder were the staples. I threw in whatever else I could find. Double cream, whipped cream, whole fucking chocolate cakes, maple syrup, raw eggs, tinned tuna and even tinned salmon! A salmon bone getting lodged in my throat half way through necking a 3000 calorie shake was never the greatest experience, but needs must to get huge! Another rather nice tasting shake I used to make twice a day was a blend of summer fruits squash, a 500ml pot of full-fat Greek yoghurt, 2 cans of tuna, a tablespoon of peanut butter and a scoop of whey. I could neck that badboy in one, even used to time myself and try and beat my previous best times every time!
Food wise I tried eating clean when I way younger and found I could never get enough calories in, and progress would be very slow. Looking back now I was pretty lazy really, and the reality of it was I would rather eat 12 jam tarts straight from the packet for 1400 calories than take the time to cook a much more nutritious meal. So, over the years my eating habits got progressively worse. As long as I was getting the calories in I was continuing to see progress in the gym so why change anything? Last year I was eating fast food meals multiple times a day, whole pizzas, tubs of ice-cream, packs of jam tarts, drinking sugary drinks purely for the extra calories, and setting my alarm in the middle of the night in order to guzzle as much full fat milk as I could manage! At the time I was 150kg and if I didn't consistently eat over 10000 calories I noticed my performance in the gym would suffer, and my weight would also go down. At this point I stuffed myself with loaves of white bread, I used to put salt and vinegar chipsticks in the bread to make crisp sandwiches and eat those every couple of hours. I was convinced the bloat from the salt was going to make me stronger aswell, or at the very least cushion my joints. In case it itn't obvious, I didn't enjoy eating these foods, it was something I did because I was convinced that I needed to do it in order to keep hitting PBs.
I have also used certain substances in order to make me eat more! I noticed that using proton pump inhibitors allowed me to eat more by reducing the stomach acid pumped out. I wouldn't get that full feeling, and it felt as though my stomach would empty quicker, allowing me to eat again. I abused these for months and coming off them left me with chronic heartburn (since dieting properly this has improved but still flares up from time to time) because the stomach compensates by releasing more acid when you discontinue use. GHRP6 was a much better alternative, it literally makes you hungry by increasing ghrelin production. I used that specifically to binge eat and ensure I got my calories in.
Stress and anxiety were the two things that I found ruined my apetite more than anything else. I knew (thought, maybe?) if I couldn't eat then I couldn't gain, and as a result I avoided anything that could bring these things into my life. That meant avoiding relationships all together as they would always bring stress and working minimal hours (enough to eat) and only working on the doors (I never found that stressful). This sounds excessive, I know, but it was a better option than the spell of depression that would occur if I didn't progress in my lifting.
Sammy boy, it's good to see you have started to investigate some of the reasons for your self-destructive behaviour. You need to put that shit behind you and decide who you want to be and what you want to do without even fucking considering what any other cunt in the world is going to think about it. Quite apart from the fact that people's external perception of you is the shittiest reason ever for deciding how to live your life, you'll never truly know what it is anyway. No-one really gives a shit how big you are or what you lift, and nor should they. They might cheer and clap for ten seconds when you make a lift at a comp, but only because you're entertaining them. For everything you have to give to be 150kg and benching 250kg, you need a far more compelling reason to be doing it than the fleeting admiration of a couple of pricks at some bullshit powerlifting comp, who'll probably wander off saying 'yeah, but he's fat and on drugs, so it's not that impressive’ anyway. In truth, for everything I know you personally have had to give to get there, there probably is no reason compelling enough; it’s just retarded. A pyrrhic victory against your own quality of life, and if you’re not careful going forwards, your long term health.
ReplyDeleteI also think you need to be more realistic about your expectations. I applaud the decision to get lean and healthy. However, I also saw your post on Sugden about aiming to bench 250@125. You are not going to do that healthy. You’re just not. It’s going to involve a fucking boatload of nasty substances, in stupid doses. You’re also not going to be lean, or anywhere near it, at 125kg. You’re fucking 5’8”. All that’s going to happen if you convince yourself you should be lean at a certain weight, or able to lift a certain amount at whatever weight / BF%, is the lean part of the equation will go out the fucking window as soon as shit doesn’t pan out like you hoped. If you genuinely want to get, and stay, lean and healthy, you need to forget about the numbers for a while. Your bodyweight will be what it will be, but I guarantee that to be actually lean, the number is likely to be markedly lower than you want. I would suggest reconciling yourself to that fact now, before the digits on the scales start working on that fucking head of yours. And healthy doesn’t just mean not fat; it means not on permanent heavy doses of PEDs year round.
I’ve said this before, but you need other things in your life. If lifting is everything, and all other interests are excluded at its expense, and then for whatever reason you can’t lift, you end up where you were when you blew you knee out, which ain’t a nice place to be. Blowing off your degree to GFH and be a doorman was the single most retarded thing you have ever done—in a fairly long list of retarded things, let’s be honest. It might be fun doing nothing but smashing weights and working the door now, but in a couple of decades you’re going to be fucking Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler, coughing up blood every morning and living in a trailer you can’t pay the rent on. Which would be a waste of a good brain, which I know is in there somewhere, wheezing away under two or three inches of androgen bloat. You are still young and in a position to take your life wherever you want it. As far as lifting goes, you have the genetics to be in mint shape and very strong, without utterly abusing your body. Or you can probably be at the bottom end of world class, by absolutely and comprehensively abusing your body. And seeing as your current mindset will not allow you to be satisfied no matter how strong you are, I suggest you work on the mindset and choose the former of the two options. Which, ironically, I think you’ll find more people would be more impressed by anyway, and will also allow you to live a life which doesn’t so closely resemble a channel five documentary.
Amazing comment, and yup it's obvious to me who you are :D I will reply in detail tomorrow!
Delete